The Sir James Douglas Out of School Club is a cooperative not-for-profit society comprised of the parents and guardians of the children who attend our Pre School and the Sir James Douglas Out of School Club.
The Out of School Club is run on a self-sustaining basis and governed by the a Board of Directors elected by the parents of the Club.
We believe in:
- Providing a service for the parents of children in our program by creating a safe environment where each child is treated as an individual.
- Working as a team with parents and teachers to nurture and guide children through their early learning years.
- Creating a stimulating environment where children can have fun and make choices; an environment that encourages curiosity, exploration and learning but also provides space and time for individual needs, solitude and quiet.
- Encouraging children to solve their own problems in a peaceful manner. We reinforce this by modeling such skills as communication, independence, leadership and respect for self and others. We are opposed to the use of violence as a means of problem solving and encourage problem-solving skills.
We ask that children adhere to three basic rules:
- Take care of themselves, play safely and follow program rules.
- Take care of and respect others, help and never hurt.
- Take care of the world around them, look after equipment, the school, the environment, etc.
We do this to enable children to have a sense of empowerment, confidence, independence and self-esteem, knowing they have the ability to live in harmony with others.